The Initial Court appearance is called an arraignment. An arraignment is a formal process by which the defendant is given notice of the charges that have been filed against them and a plea can be entered on each case. The plea, entered by the defendant, will determine what further action may be taken. A court appearance can be avoided. Read the options available to you on the Window Appearance page of this website.
The arraignment date is printed on the citation. It is near the bottom of the ticket. The court has arraignment hearings on Tuesday through Friday mornings at 9:00 AM. There are no arraignments on Mondays. Court check-in for this docket is from 8:00 - 8:30 AM.
This does not apply to juveniles. There are specific requirements for Juvenile appearances. (see Juveniles Receiving a Ticket in the Ticket Information page of this website).
- Arraignments are held Tuesday through Friday starting at 9:00 AM. (Check-in is from 8:00 - 8:30)
- Defendants are seen in the order checked-in.
- Payment of any fines assessed is due and expected to be paid at the time the plea is entered.
- Weapons are not allowed in the courtroom; purses, backpacks, etc. are not allowed in the courtroom (you may bring your checkbook, a wallet, and any other pertinent paperwork, such as driver’s license, insurance card, or vehicle registration).
- Appropriate attire and behavior are required in the courtroom (you are expected to dress properly and follow the rules of the court.
- No shorts, flip flops, sweats, tank tops, halter tops, caps/hats, t-shirt with inappropriate signage or other informal wear;
- Failure to comply may result in your court appearance being rescheduled;
- Failure to comply may result in a charge of contempt of court.
Virtual Court Arraignment Process
The City of Sugar Land is conducting arraignment and show cause hearing virtually. Please see the attached form for more information about Virtual Court Appearances.