Independent Ethics Review Board
The Rules of Ethical Conduct apply to city officials such as City Council members and appointed board members. The rules cover topics such as conflicts of interest, disclosure of gifts, restrictions on political activity and contributions, participation in procurement, and campaign activity.
TO FILE A COMPLAINT:
Complaints must be made in writing, signed by the complainant, sworn to before a notary public, and filed with the City Secretary on the first floor of City Hall and contain the following information:
- The name, address, and telephone number of the person making the complaint;
- The name of, and office held by, the person against whom the complaint is directed;
- The specific provision of this article that is alleged to have been violated;
- For each violation alleged, a detailed description of the facts that are alleged to constitute the violation, including the date or dates on which the violation is alleged to have occurred;
- The names, addresses, and telephone numbers of any witnesses to the violations; and
- Copies or descriptions of any documents that substantiate the allegations.
INDEPENDENT ETHICS REVIEW BOARD:
Alleged violations to the Rules of Ethical Conduct are reviewed by an Independent Ethics Review Board. For details about how complaints are reviewed and disposed, click here.
The Board only convenes for two reasons and does not conduct work without sworn complaints:
- Board training
- To review a sworn complaint
|Krista Stegemiller||Chair||September 30, 2021|
|Ann Malecha||Member||September 30, 2021|
|Rocaille Roberts||Member||September 30, 2021|
|Fred Kellerman||Member||September 30, 2022|
|Rachel Varghese||Member||September 30, 2022|
|Bruce Hicks||Member||September 30, 2023|
|Andrew Wolf||Member||September 30, 2023|
|Ted Lieb||Alternate Member||September 30, 2022|
|Barbara Lachar||Alternate Member||September 30, 2023|
The Rules of Ethical Conduct were originally enacted on December 20, 2005. In the years since, there have been no written complaints filed.
On February 2, 2016, a Citizen's Ethics Task Force was appointed to conduct a ten-year review of the Rules of Ethical Conduct. They held 21 public meetings and presented their recommendations at three City Council workshops (9/6/2016, 2/28/2017, & 3/27/2017). In addition, a fourth workshop was conducted by the City Attorney to review the final draft (5/2/2017).
City Council unanimously approved the revisions to the Rules of Ethical Conduct on May 23, 2017 via Ordinance 2095.
One of the recommendations found within the update was the establishment of the Independent Ethics Review Board. The process for the appointment of this board is below:
- Citizen applications were received April 16 - June 1, 2018
- City Council selected their top three candidates to interview resulting in 12 unique selections
- Candidate Interviews Night 1 - 7/23/2018
- Candidate Interviews Night 2, discussion, & selection - 7/30/2018
- Appointment of the board - 8/7/2018