- City Departments & Offices
- Fire-EMS Department
- Programs & Services
- Citizen's Fire Academy
Citizen's Fire Academy
The Sugar Land Fire - EMS Department (SLFE) would like you to accept a very special invitation to apply for the Citizens Fire Academy (CFA). The CFA Class #20 application period is open now through December 9, 2022 and has a limited enrollment.
The CFA is a great way to learn about SLFE and what it takes to be a firefighter.
By enrolling in this eight-week course, you will:
- get to know your firefighters and other staff;
- learn when we use the Jaws of Life and other tools we carry on our fire truck,
- learn about the Public Safety Dispatch Center, and
- take part in a staged fire scenario in full firefighter gear.
- Registration is open through Friday, December 9, 2022.
- Classes begin on January 12, 2023 and end on March 2, 2023.
- Class runs Thursdays from 6:00-8:00 p.m.
- Field Days (Saturdays) will be on January 28, 2023 and March 4, 2023.
In the CFA class, you will learn about fire strategy and tactics, see your firefighters in action and learn basic life saving skills.
Firefighting has become a highly advanced science, but it is still a profession for the bravest among us. Actually, there is more to the SLFE than fighting fires, such as providing emergency medical care, providing smoke alarms to citizens in need and even training for pandemics.
Things You Will Learn
Have you ever wondered what being a firefighter is all about? Or why firefighters do the things they do and take the risks they take? How you would react in an emergency situation? Do you know if your smoke alarms are in the right location? Can you choose and use the right fire extinguisher? If a family member had a heart attack in your home, could you help them?
This is an opportunity for residents to find out the answers to those questions. To be accepted into the class, you must commit to attending all the classes in the eight-week program, be at least 18 years old and either live or work in Sugar Land or within the City's extraterritorial jurisdiction.
Applicants must complete an online application. Click here to apply!