When in session, the class meets every Thursday for 10 weeks plus graduation from 7 p.m. - 10 p.m., including one Saturday morning class.
In order to be considered for the academy, an applicant must:
- Be a current resident of Sugar Land, the extraterritorial jurisdiction, or have an employment address within the incorporated city limits of Sugar Land.
- Submit a completed application
- Provide a copy of their driver's license
- Provide a copy of valid automobile liability insurance (upon admission to class)
- Have no criminal history containing a class B misdemeanor or above in the previous 5 years from the date of application
- Have no felony convictions regardless of time period
- The Police Chief reserves the right to remove any participant who engages in conduct that he determines, in his sole discretion, puts employee or citizen safety or well-being in jeopardy, or negatively impacts the public perception of the Sugar Land Police Department.