Start or Cancel Water and Garbage & Recycling Service

Start Service

You can request to start water service 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week. Start the process by filling out the online application:

Water services will be turned on anytime between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on the date selected.

Need to Cancel Service?

To cancel your water service, fill out the cancellation form.

Water services will be turned off anytime between 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. on the date selected.

Applying for New Service

The city requires a one working day notice to connect service. If service is required on the date of application, a $25 service initiation fee will be charged to the account. Water service is connected between the hours of 8 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday excluding holidays.

Deposit Requirement

When applying for service a $50 deposit is required unless a letter of reference is provided at the time of application. Letter of reference must be from another utility company and indicate no outstanding balance and no disconnections for nonpayment during the last 12 consecutive billing cycles. If applying online, the deposit will be billed to your account unless the letter of reference is received. The letter of reference may be faxed to 281-275-2769. Please include on the letter of reference the new service address.

Release of Information

Complete, sign, and submit the form below if you are interested in allowing the city of Sugar Land to disclose specific information as it relates to your utility account. 


For answers to your questions about installing a new water service connection, please contact Treasury Management at 281-275-2750.

Garbage & Recycling Service

Residents that sign up for water service are automatically signed up for garbage and recycling services. 

  • Automated garbage collection occurs twice per week
  • Automated recycling collection once per week
  • Green waste collection once per week
  • Bulky waste collection once per month and an on-call collection service

Every household is provided with a 95-gallon garbage cart and a 65-gallon recycling cart, unless a different size is requested.

Please contact Republic Services at 713-726-7307 to schedule the delivery of the garbage and recycle carts.

Need a new meter?

If you are looking to add or upgrade a meter at your property, please complete the form linked below. 

If you have questions, please contact Treasury Management at 281-275-2750.

Renting Property in Sugar Land?

If you are looking to rent a residential property in the City of Sugar Land, there are a few things you should know. Visit the rental licensing page for more information.