Mitigation and Construction in the Floodplain

Substantial renovation of existing buildings and new construction usually requires certain flood damage protection requirements. 

Elevating an existing building, often results in enclosed areas under buildings and below flood levels, where flood vents, water resistant materials and breakaway walls become necessary. Some commercial properties may opt for floodproofing.

Fill in the Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA) must be mitigated per the City of Sugar Land Development Code and flood prevention ordinance. A no-rise certification is required for any fill placed in the SFHA.

No fill or habitable structures are permitted in the floodway.