Construction Site Permit

The Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) have developed requirements for construction sites that disturb one or more acre of land or a common plan of development that will disturb one or more acre of land. These regulations require applicable construction sites to comply with the Texas Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (TPDES) Construction General Permit. These sites are also required to get a Land Disturbance Permit through the City of Sugar Land

General Permit for Construction Activities

The Construction General Permit details the requirements that all construction sites must follow to control erosion and sediment runoff during construction. There are two categories of site requirements based on the size of the area to be disturbed. Use the flow chart to determine if and what kind of coverage is required.

When calculating the acreage of land area disturbed, include the disturbed land-area of all construction and construction support activities.

Submittal Option

Submit your SWPPP, Notice of Intent, and Construction Site Notice when applying for your Land Disturbance Permit on the City of Sugar Land CSS page.

Assistance Tools

All applicants for coverage under the Construction General Permit are required to have a SWPPP developed and implemented in accordance with the permit prior to submitting the NOI or posting the site notice.

Guidance on SWPPP development and the implementation of appropriate BMPs and other compliance tools is available from TCEQ Small Business and Local Government Assistance

Construction Inspections

The Stormwater Management Program is responsible for ensuring that operators of construction activities in the City of Sugar Land have obtained coverage under the construction general permit and are operating in compliance with the requirements detailed in the Construction General Permit.

As a regulatory agency, the City of Sugar Land has the authority to ensure compliance from construction sites that are regulated by the EPA and the TCEQ. This program is a required element of the City's own TPDES Permit to discharge stormwater from the municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4).

Download a City of Sugar Land Inspection Guide