Tropical Storm Nicholas - Solid Waste Updates

Storm Debris Strategy and Guidelines

City crews are working to enhance standard services provided by Republic Services by focusing on the collection of tree limbs. The tree limbs must fit within the current green waste size requirements (see graphic). 

Crews with chippers will work throughout the week on this special project. Below is a map that highlights where crews are currently working and where they will move next. Continue to check this site for updates on this project.

Tree Branch Bundling Graphic - Branches Only
City Crew Tree Limb Collection - Sept. 22

City debris assessment teams will continue to drive Sugar Land neighborhoods this week. This data is being used to help the City efficiently manage debris cleanup efforts. Don’t be alarmed if you see City employees taking pictures of debris in your neighborhood.

As a reminder, loose green waste, such as leaves and grass clippings, should be placed in a reusable container or in bags and tied. Clear or translucent bags are recommended. If you choose to hire a contractor to service your lawn or to trim your trees, please coordinate with them on the removal of the green waste that results from their service. As leaves are cleaned off of streets and sidewalks, please keep storm drains clear. Green waste can clog storm drains and increase the risk of flooding during future rain events.

At this time, the bulky waste collection schedule has not been modified. Please refer to your normal collection day. For bulky items such as fencing, please note that fence posts can be placed curbside for collection on your bulky waste day if they are free of nails, less than 4 feet in length and cement free.

For more information on disposal guidelines, please visit the City’s online disposal directory.

Are you replacing your fence following Tropical Storm Nicholas?

Here are some things to keep in mind:

  • If you are replacing your fence with an exact replacement, no permit is required. 
  • A permit is only required if you change the location of the fence, add to it, change its height, or change the material.
  • Old fence posts can be placed curbside for collection on your bulky waste day if they are free of nails, less than 4 feet in length, and cement-free. 

If you have any more questions about replacing your fence, call 311 or 281-275-2900.

Report fallen trees to 311

To report fallen trees and hanging limbs, call 311 or 281-275-2900 or email

Public Works Crews at Work

  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. 9